Janel Schullo M.Ed., E-RYT 500 is an American yoga educator and former Catholic nun. She is co-founder and co-director of Nexus Institute Yoga & Wellness. Janel has worked as a 200- and 500-hour yoga teacher trainer since 2006. She has over 20 years of experience guiding teacher certifications, adult learning and continuing education programs, classes, and private sessions.
Janel holds an M.Ed. in Interdisciplinary Education with a specialization in Yoga Studies. Her scholarly interests include religious belief and meaning-making; modern yoga; critical pedagogy; and the role of somatic education in self-awareness. She is a 500-hour Kripalu Yoga Teacher, a 1000-hour Nosara Yoga Affiliated Program Director and Self-Awakening Yoga Trainer. Janel has been a member of the Yoga Alliance and the International Association of Yoga Therapists since 2003. In addition to directing Yoga Teacher Training at Nexus Institute, Janel is a Ph.D. candidate in the school of Educational Studies at Lesley University in Cambridge, MA. Her current work considers contemporary yoga education from critical and embodied learning perspectives.
Teaching and Leadership
Presenter | SOAS Centre of Yoga Studies, University of London | 2021
• Paper presentation within Yoga Studies post-graduate conference.
• Round table participant within Yoga Studies post-graduate conference.
Senior Teaching Faculty | Nosara Yoga Institute, Nosara, Costa Rica | 2008 - 2016
• 200-Hour Yoga Teacher Training
• 300-Hour Yoga Teacher Training
• 500-Hour Yoga Teacher Training
• Self-Awakening Yoga Therapeutics Teacher Training
• Pranassage Practitioner Training
• Inner Quest of the Yoga Educator
• Origins of Yoga
Faculty Assistant | Kripalu Center for Yoga and Health, Lenox, MA | 2006 - 2013
• Kripalu 200-Hour Yoga Teacher Training
• Self Awakening Yoga Therapeutics Teacher Training with Dr. Don Stapleton
• Frontiers of Trauma Treatment with Dr. Bessel van der Kolk
• Trauma, Body, and the Brain with Dr. Bessel van der Kolk
• Neuroscience and Yoga for Transforming Trauma and Addiction with Dr. Jim Hopper