Janel (Schullo) Usry M.Ed., E-RYT 500 is an American yoga educator and former Catholic nun. She is co-founder and co-director of Nexus Institute Yoga & Wellness. Janel has worked as a 200- and 500-hour yoga teacher trainer since 2006. She has over 20 years of experience guiding teacher certifications, adult learning and continuing education programs, classes, and private sessions.
Janel holds an M.Ed. in Interdisciplinary Education with a specialization in Yoga Studies. Her scholarly interests include religious belief and meaning-making; modern yoga; critical pedagogy; and the role of somatic education in self-awareness. She is a 500-hour Kripalu Yoga Teacher, a 1000-hour Nosara Yoga Affiliated Program Director and Self-Awakening Yoga Trainer. Janel has been a member of the Yoga Alliance and the International Association of Yoga Therapists since 2003. In addition to directing Yoga Teacher Training at Nexus Institute, Janel is a Ph.D. candidate in the school of Educational Studies at Lesley University in Cambridge, MA. Her current work considers contemporary yoga education from transformative and embodied learning perspectives.
Teaching and Leadership
Adjunct Professor | Endicott College, Beverly MA | 2021-Present
• LST301: Yoga Theory Culture and Practice
Presenter | SOAS Centre of Yoga Studies, University of London | 2021
• Paper presentation, Yoga Studies post-graduate conference.
• Round table participant, Yoga Studies post-graduate conference.
Senior Teaching Faculty | Nosara Yoga Institute, Nosara, Costa Rica | 2008 - 2016
• 200-Hour Yoga Teacher Trainer
• 300-Hour Yoga Teacher Trainer
• 500-Hour Yoga Teacher Trainer
• Self-Awakening Yoga Therapeutics Teacher Trainer
• Pranassage Practitioner Trainer
• Inner Quest of the Yoga Educator Facilitator
• Origins of Yoga Lead Teacher
Faculty Assistant | Kripalu Center for Yoga and Health, Lenox, MA | 2006 - 2013
• Kripalu 200-Hour Yoga Teacher Training
• Self Awakening Yoga Therapeutics with Dr. Don Stapleton
• Frontiers of Trauma Treatment with Dr. Bessel van der Kolk
• Trauma, Body, and the Brain with Dr. Bessel van der Kolk
• Neuroscience and Yoga for Transforming Trauma and Addiction with Dr. Jim Hopper